Senate Passes Bill Authorizing Fiscal Year 2013 DOD Appropriations
January 18, 2013
On December 21, 2012, the Senate passed the “National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013” (H.R. 4310). If signed by the president, this bill would authorize fiscal year 2013 appropriations for the Department of Defense (DOD) and national security programs for the Department of Energy (DOE). This bill also contains provisions regarding the following:
- Expanded protections for whistleblowers,
- Allowability of costs associated with detecting and replacing counterfeit parts,
- Contingency contracting reforms,
- Reporting requirements for contractors regarding successful cybersecurity attacks,
- Increasing opportunities for small businesses to contract with DOD, and
- DOD audit readiness.
The bill was presented to the president for signature on December 30, 2012.