TRANSCOM Boss: Drawdown on Track Despite Cuts
March 6, 2013
U.S. Transportation Command has the resources now to get American assets out of Afghanistan, but that might not last, the general in charge of the command said Wednesday.
Gen. William Fraser said that while budget uncertainty will have unforeseen effects under both the mandatory cuts that went into effect last week and the possibility of another continuing resolution, he “is confident that we have what we need right now.”
TRANSCOM is preparing to bring half of the 68,000 troops in Afghanistan home within a year, along with the hundreds of thousands of tons of cargo required to drawn down the U.S. presence.
While mandatory budget cuts are going into effect across the board, the Defense Department has released direction to ensure that there is enough funding and assets available for the drawdown, Fraser said.