Suspensions, debarments jump 73 percent in federal contracting in 2011
September 30, 2012
Federal agencies are taking a harder line on contractors who cheat or otherwise fail to measure up to government procurement standards.
Some 3,326 federal contractors were suspended or debarred last year, a 73 percent increase from 1,918 contractors sanctioned in 2009.
The increase comes as federal procurement officers are under pressure to monitor contracts more rigorously. A Government Accountability Office report released in August 2011 said six out of 10 executive-branch agencies studied weren’t doing enough to weed out contractors that fail to play by the rules and urged the White House Office of Management and Budget to step up oversight.
“The ability to debar or ban a certain company from doing business with the U.S. government is an important tool we have to protect taxpayer dollars from waste, fraud and abuse,’’ Joe Jordan, administrator of the White House Office of Federal Procurement Policy, said in a Sept. 18 blog post introducing a report on contractor oversight by the Interagency Suspension and Debarment Committee.
Continue reading for quote from NCMA Executive Director, Michael Fischetti.